Monday, April 12, 2010

GDPI at MDI (Part 1)

Okay... So here's how my first GDPI attempt at an MBA college went, the lucky institute being MDI, Gurgaon. (Date: Apr 12, 2010; Venue: MDI)

The topic for the Group Discussion was highly abstract and wierd: "YOU NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL TO BE SATISFIED."
While I am pretty fond of abstract topics, since they allow me to get whacky and all, this was one topic which I did not like much. Adding to it, the way the prof from the panel pointed out the topic scribbled on the board behind him, one could figure out the amount of interest taken in framing this topic. Can't actually blame those folks, since MDI has been having its interviews for more than 20+ days now.

As always, once the GD started, I had to frequently control an urge to bash the guy sitting next to me. What points the guy came up with... "A man should never be satisfied and a satisfied man is no lesser than DEAD." I just wish I could interview this guy once.
The GD was highly clamorous, and did not go as well as I would have liked it to. I did speak at times but never managed to steer the discussion as I like to. That's what actually happens when 9 good (read vociferous) speakers meet in a GD.
There was this small incident during the GD which I would like to mention:
This dude with a frenchie (beard) invited the group to go for a poll, so as to decide the outcome of the discussion. My first reaction was, "come on dude this isn't a debate, we don't need a poll." I wanted to ensure that the poll doesn't happen, but for this I would have had to put my head into the fish market as well, something which would have left me looking like a stinking fish myself.
As a countermeasure (Honda lingo), very quietly, I leaned close to the Violent Ass next to me and whispered... " Hey, what the hell is he talking ?? This isn't a 'yes' or 'no' discussion. "
Very quickly, the dude catching onto my words yelled, " No no no, you are mistaken, this isn't a yes or no discussion, we just cannot have a poll !!!"
Now I don't know if it was the right move or not, but Dude No. 1 definitely shut up after this without me needing to get into the business, and Violent Ass did get a "WTF" look from the prof.

The GD was followed up by a 90 minute waiting period during which I realized that the guys around me weren't much hopeful of a selection, we being the low percentile scorers. (yes 96.91 is indeed low by MDI standards).

The Interview shall be described in the post to follow.

2 comments:

Kunal Suri said...

Nicely written ;) keep blogging !!

Unknown said...

thanks man !!!

Scorecard